Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Farewell thee Verona…

After writing that last post, I ventured out onto the streets of Verona in search of food. Following my lovely guidebook’s advice [side note…worth its weight in gold…just like my mom said!] I went to a little Crepes place. The owner/chef was a kind Italian who helped me stumble through the Italian menu with the little English he knew. There was another couple in there as well. I felt so welcomed and at home. In the time I was there eating two crepes…multiple people from the neighborhood stopped in. I felt at home and very welcome, despite my lack of Italian knowledge. I also bought a carry-on which made my life SO much easier!! It’s virtually impossible to travel for 4 days with my backpack (think day hike size!)

I had a restful night before waking up for a 7:30 am breakfast. Except the time changed and I woke up an hour early, checked it on the internet, tried to go back to sleep, and failed. Oh well! After checking out, I proceeded to tour Verona, wheeling my new carry on behind me. It was so pretty!!!! I wanted to stay forever. And still might!

I then successfully found and boarded my train to Venice. Except we didn’t leave. Finally an Italian was nice enough to explain that there had been an accident and we were delayed. So with no idea when we would be moving, I settled in and wrote for awhile. Finally we were rerouted and I sped off to Venice. But I have to say that I literally felt like my heart was still in Verona. Something about that city I just loved!!!!

After arriving in Venice, I still had to find my hostel. The best way was a vasporetto…which is to say a water bus. This is more complicated than it looks, but I figured it out. And once I arrived at my hostel no one was there. So I walked back to the vaporetto stop to try to call them…fail. And back to the hostel…where someone let me in!! After ditching my stuff, I headed out on the town! I wandered and bought Christmas presents and it was great!!!

Then I returned to the hostel where I proceeded to talk to a guy named Clay for an hour straight. I have to say that there aren’t very many people you meet and can talk to right away. But he was one of them. We agreed to hang out in the morning and tour Venice together. Dinner was beyond strange in that the company was weird, but good, the food mediocre and dessert was alcohol. But it was fun and I went to bed happy!

So if you get preoccupied taking pictures like this... 

...or like this....you may almost miss your train to Verona!! 

The amazing Carlo Scarpa building, Castelvicchio 

 One of my favorite moments in the building.

An overall view of the museum part...the rest is a castle/a castle wall! 

Me and my most favorite stairs...slightly disappointing because they didn't really lead anywhere... 

Pretty sure I grinned like that the whole time in the building...dream come true!!! 

I also saw a Roman amphitheatre. 

Me and the BEAUTIFUL Verona colors!!! 

Ah. Paradise! (aka Verona's riverfront!) 

Love this dome combined with fall colors!!

And just in case you ever wondered...this is where Juliet supposedly lived. Yes, THAT Juliet.

No comments:

Post a Comment