Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Mountain + Monastery

Today was an epic day! But it starts from yesterday. Yesterday I was in this weird funk…I think from the weekend because I missed some chill time. But I was in this weird funk and couldn’t decide if I should go with the group to Montserrat which is a day trip. With today being Columbus Day here, we all had the day off. I finally at 21:00 last night decided that if I stayed home I would just do a repeat of yesterday and stay in my foul mood. So I got up this morning and met everyone at the train station. One girl was late so we ended up not getting seats (except her, ironically). So I ended up standing/sitting against the door during the entire hour and a half ride. It was a long time to stand and my knees slightly swelled. But whatever. Then we took this tram up the mountain…


 …where this basilica is located…

…and climbed up here for hours and hours…

…and ate lunch with this view…

…and climbed straight up this…

…and ran down lots of stairs to get back down on the last tram to the last train. It was epic! Between the adrenaline rush in scaling that wall (it was steeper than 45 degrees and if we’d slipped we would have gone a long ways and it would have hurt a lot. We wouldn’t have died, but it would’ve hurt. For the first part we stuck together as a group of seven. But then the other girls went one way and I followed the three guys. Great decision! (Not the least of which was that they all took their shirts off…) But truthfully guys can just be easier to hang out with. And having three of them pushed my mental limits as well. Sometimes I need them to push me to do something that pushes me mentally…but is a physical activity. Anyways…it was great! The mountains reminded me a lot of both Colorado hiking and also Utah’s rock formations. Being so high was bitter sweet. I was reminded of home and that was comforting. And then I would remember how much I miss home and then I would get kind of sad. We had to rush down the mountain to make it to the last tram and it was just great! Running down mountains is definitely one of my favorite activities! SUPER GLAD that I made the decision last night to come. I feel exhausted because we just kept going from 9:30 to 9:30 standing or hiking with relatively short breaks. But I am also rejuvenated from the physical exertion, the mountains and the adrenaline rush from climbing. It was wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment